Tourist attractions in the Namaqualand, Concordia area:
SPRINGBOKAnglo-Boer War Graves
Blue Mine - on the western outskirts, was Springbok’s original copper mine and the first commercial mine in South Africa. A short walking trail offers good views of the town.
Dutch Reformed Church (or Klipkerk) - a national monument, built in 1921.
Goegap Nature Reserve - 15 km southeast of Springbok, comprises indigenous vegetation and includes the Hester Malan Wild Flower Garden.
Mineshaft - east of Springbok, at Carolusberg was dug in 1685 on Simon van der Stel’s instructions.
Monument Koppie - a small hillock (koppie) in the centre of town, was wrested from the British by Boer forces and commemorates the Anglo-Boer war. (1899-1902)
Old Cemetery - Outside Springbok on the Kleinzee road en-route lie the war graves and those of mining pioneers dating to 1860.
Smelting Furnace - A short walk to the north of town en-route to Okiep and the oldest of its kind in southern Africa. It is a national monument and has been unused since 1871.
Springbok Golf Course
Synagogue - Synagogue Street, completed in 1929 and now used as the museum.
CONCORDIAConcordia graveyard - graves from the early Rhenish missionary pioneers and unmarked graves of fallen Boers from the siege of Okiep in 1902.
Granite Ore Bins - near the town at the old mines of Tweefontein and New Prospect are ore bins/shuts which are good examples of Cornish stone masonry.
Orbicule Koppie - West of Concordia, exhibits the best example of orbicular diorite in the country. This rare rock texture is the result of granitoid magmas separating while in a fluid state, with one granite type forming ovoid ‘orbs’ showing concentric internal banding, within a ground mass of slightly different composition.
Rhenish Mission Church - the original Rhenish mission church that was established in 1852 by Rev Mr Brecher.
United reformed Church - a stone church built by Cornishmen in 1875, it houses an organ dating back to 1915.
Skaaprivier Hiking Trail - truly a scenic and relatively easy 2-day trail down a canyon.
Cornish Pump House - a fully intact steam engine and the only remaining pump house of its sort in the Southern Hemisphere, were used from 1882 to pump water from the mine.
Donkey Cart Rides
Fort Shelton - between Okiep and Concordia. The main fortification of the Home Guard during the Siege of Okiep in 1902.
Geological Sites - Klondike and Magabreccia sites can be seen in the surrounding area.
Smokestack - built by the Cape Copper Company as a ventilation shaft in 1880, now a national monument.